The School offers online proctoring services for students enrolled in online courses who do not live within 30 km of an established Canadian exam centre. This includes all international students. The School currently uses Examity® for our online proctoring services. Please consult your course outline to confirm whether your course has a proctored final exam.
Live online proctoring allows completion of your course assessment from an off-campus location. Examity® provides live proctoring by highly trained human proctors. A remote invigilator will observe your completion of the exam using specialized software and recordings will be made and held for a limited period of time in order to ensure academic integrity is maintained. The University of Toronto has an institutionally endorsed agreement with Examity® that protects the privacy of the recordings, and other personal information.
Students taking their examinations online must agree to be proctored by Examity® throughout the duration of the exam. Access to a computer that can support remote recording is the student's responsibility. Please note that you will be required to show official government photo identification prior to beginning to write the exam.
Registering for your exam:
All students enrolled in an online course with a proctored final exam will need to register for their exam at the start of the course. When registering to write your final exam, you can select the online proctoring option if you are eligible. Please consult the application form for eligibility requirements. The final examination will then be conducted entirely online.
Prior to your exam date you will receive an email from Examity® with instructions to setup your online profile. Once complete, you will have access to your Examity® student dashboard, where you can schedule your exam and review the exam rules. Please be sure to review exam rules prior to the exam.
To ensure that your computer is compatible with the online proctoring service, please confirm that your computer meets system requirements.
Examity® system requirements are:
- Desktop computer or laptop (not tablet, Chromebook or phone)
- Webcam and microphone (built-in or external) – test your webcam at https://webcamtests.com/
- Connection to network with sufficient internet speed: at least 2 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps upload – test internet speed at www.speedtest.net
- Operating systems: Windows XP or newer, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) – or newer
- Browser with pop-up blocker disabled: Google Chrome v39 or later, Mozilla Firefox v34 or later, Internet Explorer v8 or later, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari v6 or later
- If you are writing an online proctored exam in a Translation course, you will also need a scanner, or a printer with scanning capabilities, connected to the computer you use for your exam, and within the same room.
If you have any questions or concerns about system requirements, contact Examity’s technical support team 24/7 via email at email@example.com or phone at (855)-392-6489.
Retention of Video Content:
Recordings captured via the Examity®system are available to the School of Continuing Studies for sixty days after a recording is made. Recordings flagged for review will be archived for 12 months. After these time periods have passed, recordings are purged.
Video tour of Examity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98OStU71l7A&feature=youtu.be
For a full overview of what to expect from your online proctoring experience, please review the student manual attached to this article.