Does my course qualify for a T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate tax credit?

Effective January  2020, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) now requires that students provide their Social Insurance Number (SIN) to their educational institution to be displayed on their T2202Tuition and Enrolment certificate.    Students can claim the tuition tax credit on their personal income tax return.  To claim this credit submit a T2202 form with your tax return. 

If you have not provided your SIN number, you may follow the instructions below for assistance:

Go to your My Access account at the School.
• On the left-hand navigation bar, click “My Profile”
• Scroll down to the field entitled “Social Insurance Number”
• Enter your SIN. Please do not insert spaces or dashes. The format should be nnnnnnnnn, e.g. 123456789.
• Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click “Save”

You may view and print your T2202 document online from My Access, your personal account on our website.  Go to this Help Center article for further instructions on viewing and printing your T2202.

This service is currently available from the year 2019 onwards. For courses completed prior to 2019, please  email .

It is your responsibility to ensure that you qualify to claim this tax credit. Canada Revenue Agency is the official authority on all tax issues and should always be consulted if you are unsure about your eligibility. However, for your convenience we have provided brief guidelines to help you decide if you should pursue this credit.

Student eligibility:

  • You are at least 16 years of age.
  • You were enrolled in a specified educational program as defined by Canada Revenue Agency (many of our certificate programs offered by the School fall into this category).
  •  Each of your courses in the program is a minimum of 3 consecutive weeks in length and provides no less than 12 hours of instruction per month.
  • You are taking the program to improve or obtain occupational skills.

Course eligibility:

Your course is part of a certificate program at the School of Continuing Studies. All certificates are considered “designated post-secondary programs” as defined by Canada Revenue Agency.

  • Your course is a requirement towards the completion of a certificate program. 
  • The tuition fees paid add up to a minimum of $100.
  • Your course(s) was at least three consecutive weeks in length.
  • Course hours add up to at least 12 hours per month.
  • You paid the tuition fees. Your employer, company or institution did not submit the fees to the School on your behalf, or, you were not reimbursed later by your employer, company or institution, or, you did not receive a grant, benefit or allowance from a third party.

Special note:

As defined by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) , the UofT SCS Boot Camp programs are not specified or qualifying educational programs under the taxation guidelines, and therefore not eligible for the federal tuition tax credit or the Ontario education and tuition tax credits.   For this reason, a Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202) will not be issued for these programs.

If you are unsure if you are eligible to claim this credit on your tax return, we recommend that you visit Canada Revenue Agency’s website at  for further guidance.

Didn’t find what you were looking for? Scroll to the bottom of this page, submit a support request form, and we will get back to you!




Was this article helpful?